PustakaBahasaInggris.com – Bacaan hari ini mengulik sedikit tentang GRAMMAR yang sering dijumpai dalam kehidupan kita sehari-hari. Penjelasan ini sangat penting karena saya memprediksi bahwa kalian pasti akan menggunakan materi ini baik dalam lisan atau tulisan.
Pengertian, Penjelasan dan Penggunaan “The Use of Modal – May, Might, Can and Could” Lengkap dengan Contoh Kalimat dan Latihan Soal
Modal Auxiliary verb adalah kata yang ditempatkan sebelum main verb (kata kerja utama) untuk memodifikasi makna dari kata kerja utama tersebut yang berfungsi untuk mengekspresikan willingness (kemauan) atau ability (kemampuan), necessity (kebutuhan), dan possibility (kemungkinan).
Pelajari kalimat-kalimat di bawah ini:
- The students can do the test easily.
- He could walk at his first birthday.
- You may open the dictionary to find the meaning of the words.
- He might be in trouble last night.
Kalimat-kalimat di atas menggunakan MODAL: can, could, may, might.
Simak penjelasan di bawah ini:
Penggunaan MAY and MIGHT
MAY digunakan untuk menyatakan ijin:
- May I go now?
MAY dalam kalimat negatif menyatakan larangan, seperti di dalam pemberitahuan resmi (Formal)
- Perticipants may not enter the room until the bell rings.
MAY dan MIGHT digunakan untuk menyatakan kemungkinan.
- We have a few minutes left, we may still catch the bus.
- He might be in danger when he played with the dog.
Contoh Kalimat May
- “May I sit with you?” she asked Sally.
- Do you think they may have given up?
- May we come in?
- They may be too busy running.
- “You may buy something if you wish,” said his mother.
- You may follow me.
- “You may choose any subject that you like best,” said the teacher.
- May I wait here until then?
- Let us be ready, for we may be sent for any minute.
- May I have this dance?
- You may do as you wish.
- May I see to it?
- I may be the person who’s having the visions but I can’t do it alone.
- You may send the gold pieces to your mother with my compliments, and tell her that the king will take care of both her and you.
- “We may as well go back,” said the son in French.
- May the kingdom of Heaven be his!
- He has to believe you guys truly exist and he may guess some of your limits and capabilities.
- And while it may not be perfect, life will be profoundly better for everyone on the planet.
- May I?… asked Natasha.
- Then, on Friday those who have done the best may stand up and read their compositions to the school.
- You may come to America and be poor, but if you work hard, your children will have a better life and a better opportunity.
- I absolutely must see him, however painful it may be for me.
- It may take a few minutes, but he’ll catch on.
- You may be proud of it!
- The French at Vitebsk, in four days’ march they may be at Smolensk; perhaps are already there!
- Oh, I’m a Wizard; you may be sure of that.
- The mother dragon may come down and catch us here.
- I think that we may safely trust a good deal more than we do.
- May I go at once?
- You may call or have friends over anytime you wish – as long as they don’t interfere with your work.
Contoh Kalimat Might
- It might have done damage inside.
- If you could see a way it might be possible, then it must be possible.
- This might be the most difficult decision she would ever make.
- We might have done something to help you.
- Either situation might be the case.
- As it was, the kids might pick up on her fear and emulate.
- No one knows what the mother might do.
- She could have asked, but that might tip her hand.
- Some might think Dulce didn’t know what she was missing, but Carmen suspected she did.
- Talking about it might help her, but they had already talked the subject lifeless.
- Then he thought what a pretty picture might be made of his sister’s sweet face and little hands.
- Hey, someone has to discover penicillin—it might as well be me.
- In other words, you might not notice the time you ate the MSG and didn’t get a headache.
- Still, Alex might be getting worse.
- Alex might have convinced himself that he wanted a simpler lifestyle.
- You might be asking, Then what?
- Show me where we might eat.
- Carmen thought that might be the end of the conflict.
- They suggest other products a customer might be interested in.
- They might not look alike?
- She might have lost the baby anyway, but the way he treated her couldn’t have helped.
- How might this work?
- The thought that what I wrote might not be absolutely my own tormented me.
- I think she was merely directing the comment at you because she thought you might want to know.
- It might take a few days to notice any improvement from the antibiotics.
- If you have no food and are starving, you might invade your neighbor and take his food.
- Dulce turned, and for a moment Carmen thought she might strike her.
- We might always drive about together!
- Now, let’s see how this might come about.
- Electronic transfers mean the money of a government, business, or individual might be anywhere at any time.
Penggunaan CAN and COULD
COULD merupakan bentuk lampau dari CAN. Ke-2 modal ini digunakan untuk:
Menyatakan ijin. Biasanya dalam kalimat tanya (interrogative sentence)
- Can I borrow this book?
- Could I ask you a question?
Menyatakan kemampuan dalam melakukan sesuatu (ability or capacity)
- I can beat him at swimming anytime!
- He could speak English well.
Contoh Kalimat Can
- Can you watch the house for me while I’m gone?
- I can take care of myself.
- I can do it.
- You can spend it with a free conscience.
- Yes, can you believe the luck?
- “You can ask Dorothy,” said the little man, in an injured tone.
- So, if you can find a way to fix it, we’ll be much obliged to you.
- But you can learn many things from books.
- I can handle it… now.
- A friend of hers who is a florist asks if she can advertise on the site.
- You can know everything in the world and still make bad decisions.
- “I know that the lad can draw pictures wonderfully well,” he said.
- Thanks, I know we can count on you, Katie, but I think she’ll be more comfortable staying at our house.
- Can the system learn to predict crime targets?
- That device can track where you are at any time.
- “Can one be calm in times like these if one has any feeling?” said Anna Pavlovna.
- “I am the only man in the world who can paint a picture so true to life,” he said.
- Of course, if you prefer, we can wait until you come home from work and make it a fun family event.
- Mom is fixing supper and I’m sure she has something you can wear in the morning.
- Usually, I jot down what I can remember of them when I get home.
- We simply don’t understand how it can be so.
- “What can one say about it?” replied the prince in a cold, listless tone.
- You want me to think of all this as ours, but how can I when you insist that the problems are all yours?
- How can we not be excited about the possibilities this offers?
- Can that be prevented?
- No way of thinking or doing, however ancient, can be trusted without proof.
- How can you laugh at it, Count?
- We pass the time as we can, but in war as in war!
- I can neither punish him if he does wrong nor reward him if he does right.
- Machines can actually do a very limited palette of things.
Contoh Kalimat Could
- What could he do about it but lose more sleep?
- I wish you could hear yourself talking.
- I had let so much gas out of my balloon that I could not rise again, and in a few minutes the earth closed over my head.
- How could he find out?
- How could she blame him?
- I never thought I could do it.
- The doctor thought I could not live.
- If anything could take her mind off the worry of surrogacy, he could.
- “Could we fly with them?” asked Dorothy.
- I could not be induced to tell where the key was.
- But not a trace could they find of the tiny creature they sought.
- “Maybe we could get a van,” Carmen suggested.
- How could I have looked him in the face?
- Edward could spell nearly all the words in his primer, and he could read quite well.
- Could you start a fire, honey?
- No one could deny that Alex was a devoted husband and father.
- She could have asked, but that might tip her hand.
- Besides, after he inherited, he could always put someone in charge of the estate.
- The sudden rush into space confused them so that they could not think.
- Oh, I guess Zeb could fight if he had to.
- Bad science fiction plots, speculating on futures which could not really happen, are the worst examples of this.
- But what could have happened?
- But if you could trust him this way and there was no electricity, would it still be love?
- How could he do such a thing to his own children?
- It was almost as if he were shutting Felipa off before she could reveal something.
- We could say he has excellent taste.
- The school was more than a mile from their home, and the children trotted along as fast as their short legs could carry them.
- Black figures flitted about before the fire, and through the incessant crackling of the flames talking and shouting could be heard.
- No, so I could get over it.
- Pierre stood rather far off and could not hear all that the Emperor said.
1. Bila kalian ingin membuat sebuah kalimat yang menyatakan ijin atau meminta ijin, maka kalian dapat menggunakan MAY atau CAN.
- May I go to the bathroom?
(Bolehkah saya pergi ke kamar kecil)
Kalimat ini sering kalian ucapkan pada saat proses belajar mengajar. Kalian juga boleh menggunakan CAN untuk kalimat ini sehingga menjadi:
- Can I go to the bathroom?
(Bisakah saya pergi ke kamar kecil?)
The Bathroom bisa diartikan “kamar kecil” bukan hanya untuk arti “kamar mandi” saja. Hal ini tergantung dengan konteks nya. Mana mungkin siswa ijin kepada guru nya untuk mandi pasti ijin untuk buang air kecil atau yg lebih besar, ya kan!
Mengapa tidak menggunakan COULD untuk membuat kalimat yang menyatakan ijin?
Jawab: Boleh saja tetapi ingat COULD adalah bentuk “lampau/ Past”
2. Jika kalian ingin membuat sebuah kalimat yang menyatakan larangan, maka kalian harus menggunakan MAY + not
- The students may not cheat at the test.
(Para murid dilarang menyontek pada saat ujian)
Kalian pasti mengalami situasi sulit bila ada kalimat ini di pintu kelas. Semangat belajar ya sob!
3. Jika ingin membuat sebuah kalimat yang menyatakan kemungkinan, maka gunakan MAY atau MIGHT. Ingat! MIGHT untuk lampau/ Past.
- They may get the tickets because the concert will be started at 8 pm.
(Mereka mungkin dapat tiket karena konser dimulai jam 8 malam)
Kalimat ini menyatakan kemungkinan sob! Jadi konteks nya konser itu belum dimulai pada saat mengucapkan kalimat ini.
Menggunakan MIGHT untuk kemungkinan:
- He might be sick because he was not in school yesterday.
(Dia mungkin sakit karena dia tidak ada di sekolah kemarin)
Kalimat ini adalah kalimat menyatakan kemungkinan untuk waktu lampau karena mengandung “might, was, yesterday”
Nah, sekarang silahkan mencoba untuk menjawab soal di bawah ini. Semangaaaat!
Fill the blanks with “may, might, can or could”!
- You …………… go home after finishing the test.
- She ………………. do hard work when she was young.
- The man is very strong. He …………. lift the barbell easily.
- Last night he didn’t come to the party. He …………. be busy.
- …………………. you swim? Yes, I’m good at it.
- We are not late. We ……….. catch the bus.
- She ………… do the test easily yesterday.
- You ………. eat mangoes but not too much.
- I will have a sports competition this evening. I ………… come home late.
- My father is in hospital. He ………….. be seriously ill.
Silahkan kalian mencoba menjawab pertanyaan di atas untuk mengasah kemampuan kalian tentang materi The Use of Modal – May, Might, Can and Could
Temukan contoh soal GRAMMAR lain di sini:
Contoh Soal TEXT di sini: